[Operators] public XMPP service: [jabberafrica.org]

Valérian Saliou valerian at jappix.com
Wed Jul 3 07:43:18 UTC 2013

NB: this is a re-send to the list, my Mail client firstly did not send the reply to the list, but to Peter directly.
---

Hi Peter,

On Jul 3, 2013, at 5:53 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> On 7/1/13 2:35 AM, Valérian Saliou wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I added your server (+ jabberpl.org <http://jabberpl.org> server,
>> as previously requested) to one of my pull request (which also adds
>> some changes to my XMPP server and one other).
>>
>> See there: https://github.com/stpeter/xmppdotnet/pull/4
>>
>> stpeter (or any other allowed person on xmppdotnet main repo),
>> possible to get this accepted and deployed on xmpp.net
>> <http://xmpp.net> soon?
>
> Hi Valérian, thanks for your interest in the xmpp.net list.
>
> If you want to help out with maintenance, let's chat sometime so that
> I can understand what kind of checking you perform. Here is the
> process I follow:
>
> http://xmpp.net/verify.html
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't yet figured out a good way to verify the
> verifiers. :-)  (For example, how do I know that you have sent the
> proper email message to the hostmaster/postmaster/webmaster address,
> that you have checked the SRV records and certificates, etc.?)

Yep, understandable :) Actually I have not, I just checked that the XMPP domains that were given properly replied to my disco#infos + searched for the proper registration URL (either Web or XMPP in-band).

> Ideally, we'll eventually make this whole process automated using
> XEP-0309 (Service Directories):
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0309.html
>
> But first we need an implementation of XEP-0309 that we can run at
> xmpp.net (I keep hoping to find time to code that up for Prosody).

Oh, I did not know about that XEP. Well, I'm sure the guys behind Prosody will be glad to code an implementation if we suggest it to them. I'll also be happy to help you on that, since I'm looking to build something very similar for Jappix (at jappix.net), and I also had discussions with Timothée Jaussoin (edhelas) from Movim, which is looking for an interoperable way to list Movim XMPP pods. I assume we can all work on a common code basis.

Apart from that XEP, have a look at https://list.jabber.at/ : they built a system similar to the one you're looking for for XMPP.net, but it's not based on any kind of XEP. It does XMPP server admin verification by message, certificate verification (and I think: regularly ping the server and check it's up, in order to auto-remove it in case it's offline since a long time). It's all open-source, coded in Python on the top of Django (see the page footer).

> Peter
>
> - --
> Peter Saint-Andre
> https://stpeter.im/

---

Valérian Saliou

Jappix & FrenchTouch Web Agency founder.
Uno IM product lead.

More about me on my personal page.