[Operators] Spammy servers

Marco Cirillo maranda at lightwitch.org
Sat Mar 2 02:03:55 UTC 2013

Il 02/03/2013 02:08, Dave Cridland ha scritto:

> On 1 Mar 2013 17:03, "Kevin Smith" <kevin at kismith.co.uk
> <mailto:kevin at kismith.co.uk>> wrote:
> > This sounds very thorough (and entirely reasonable). Is your setup for
> > doing this generally available so other servers could take advantage
> > of similar systems?
>
> I also wonder whether it'd be worthwhile restricting S2S traffic on
> new users initially; that is, new users would have to do something
> after registration and initial access before they can start sending
> traffic to other sites.
>
> That way you have a chance to categorise their activity before it can
> do you reputation any harm.

But what would that <<something>> be?

Usually it's very common that a new (legit) user after the first login,
and after he or she figures how to use the client, would attempt to add
new contacts (as mostly happens on IM platforms) in the case of xmpp
it's very possible those are on remote servers.
Employing a "newbie local jail" would forbid 'em to add remote contacts,
so that causes my mind to picture a few vexatious scenarios deriving
from that choice, at least in public services.