[Operators] google abandoning XMPP??

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Wed May 22 20:40:03 UTC 2013

> On 5/22/13 8:52 AM, Jesse Thompson wrote:
>> Google failed to note the correlation of the drop in federated
>> XMPP connections with the fact that Google Apps (which internally
>> federates its hosted domains) and Office 365 (which doesn't support
>> XMPP federation) are gobbling up the market as organizations move
>> to the cloud.
>>
>> Oh well ... it always troubled me that people trusted Google's
>> support for open protocols as somehow permanent to the nature of
>> the company.
>
> Yes, it seems to have been a marriage of convenience (since they're
> also dropping RSS via Google Reader, also cf. the SPDY work to
> supersede HTTP, etc.).
>
> On the other hand, not needing to interoperate with Google Talk might
> free us to more aggressively work on network security improvements. I
> say let's take this as an opportunity rather than a disappointment.

The one technical reason cited for the largest XMPP service operator to
exit the XMPP community is that there is a spam problem; not a network
security problem.

Improving network security doesn't improve the spam problem; otherwise
Google would have tried it.  (As a comparison, the various email domain
authentication and encryption schemes hasn't put a dent on email spam.)

If there is any chance to woo Google (and the thousands of domains they
host) back into the fold, then the spam problem needs to be the prime focus.

Jesse