[Operators] Spam Registrations

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Thu May 23 15:22:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Alex Hanselka <alex at darkdna.net> wrote:
> Do you guys have any tips for spam registrations for open servers? I'm
> running one that eventually I'll add back to the list on xmpp.net but before
> I do I wanted some tips on this :)

The best advice I can give is not to allow unprotected (i.e. without a
captcha or similar) inband registration, as people use scripts to
autoregister accounts across many servers using IBR. If you require
registration through a web page with captchas etc. then at least a
spammer has to target your server specifically, rather than being able
to use the same techniques across many servers.

/K