[Operators] The Google issue

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 19:26:58 UTC 2013

With all the talk about the details of the manifesto, one thing we
seem to mostly only mention in passing is federation with Google, and
I'm curious to gauge the opinion of people on this list.

We are going to affect a lot of users across the network on 4th
January as we effectively disable federation with Google. Some will
inevitably be outraged, as they are unable to speak with their friends
and family members. Some will herald it as a step forward in
transitioning people away from servers with poor communication
security.

Technically, as a server developer, it would be possible to continue
to allow Google domains as an exception (this isn't possible with a
simple white/blacklist because of Google Apps hosted domains). Would
this be a positive or negative step to take?

While thinking about users, let's not forget Google. If there is any
chance of them continuing to federate in any way, pushing them away
right now may not be our best move.

Regards,
Matthew