[Operators] Account registration project

Mathias Ertl mati at fsinf.at
Thu Nov 28 15:47:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

As some of you perhaps still now, we at jabber.at used a simple Drupal
module for account registration in addition to In-Band Registration. We
received loads of SPAM-registrations with it (much more so then In-Band
Registration!), users frequently thought they could/should log into our
homepage and there was no password reset feature either.

Fed up with the situation, I have coded a small Django project as a
replacement:

	https://account.jabber.at

The project is of course Free Software, so I'd like to invite anyone who
finds it useful to use it yourself, documentation is available at
https://account.jabber.at/doc.

To combat SPAM, it provides ReCAPTCHA support, requires
Email-confirmation and features a few form-related Anti-Spam tricks. As
a bonus, users can also reset their password and delete their account.
Previously, users weren't able to reset their password once they
forgot/lost it. Users who have previously registered via In-Band
registration should use the 'Set email' tab to be able to reset their
password.

The communication with your XMPP-server happens via a "backend" plugin,
and you can easily implement your own backend. So far there are
ready-to-use implementations using ejabberdctl and ejabberd_mod_xmlrpc
(I imagine a backend using an XMPP connection and/or for Prosody would
be useful). There is also a handy admin interface to get an overview of
registrations at /admin/.

Contact me directly (off-list, depending on the subject) if you have any
questions, suggestions or need help deploying the project yourself.

greetings, Mati
(jabber.at)

twitter: @mathiasertl | xing: Mathias Ertl | email: mati at er.tl
I only read plain-text mail!  I prefer signed/encrypted mail!