[Operators] Prosody vs. spammers - security measures?

Moonchild moonchild at palemoon.org
Mon Feb 3 13:29:15 UTC 2014

Hey folks,

I've been running prosody for a little while now, and although I'm happy with
the c2s/s2s security of the connections it makes, I'm running into a different
security issue which is potentially a much larger problem.

The problem is: spammers and otherwise abusive users. There is no easy way to
monitor or restrict abusive behavior in prosody, and manually checking logs
really isn't a "this millennium" way of going about user security. I may have
to revert to my previous setup (Openfire) to address this and a few other
issues with prosody (seems I switched "too soon" with it not being
release-ready enough) unless you guys have a way to address this problem. I
looked through the list of prosody-modules but nothing there seems to be past
early alpha stage that is remotely useful.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Mark.