[Operators] Prosody vs. spammers - security measures?

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Mon Feb 3 17:54:46 UTC 2014

On Feb 03, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> >Good for you. Last year I had to close registrations to jabber.linux.it
> >because there were more fake than real users.
> We really do need to figure out how to solve the problem of fake users.
I think that the experience of mail operators already tells us
everything that we need to know. Short summary:
- automatic unlimited creation of accounts is like open relays, very bad
- automatic but somehow supervised creation of accounts is like
  freemails: it can work but it is tricky to get right, even with large
  resources. And at the very least it needs content-based spam filters.
- otherwise, having a real customer relationship with your users helps
  a lot

(I bet that this had no minor relevance in Google's decision to stop
federating gtalk. Guess who was being spammed from my own server?)

--
ciao,
Marco