[Operators] Prosody vs. spammers - security measures?

Marco Cirillo maranda at lightwitch.org
Mon Feb 3 18:45:21 UTC 2014

Il 03/02/2014 19:13, Kevin Smith ha scritto:
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Marco Cirillo <maranda at lightwitch.org> wrote:
>> Registration form with a long complex captcha + DEA filter + ip address
>> based throttling, E-Mail verification + 1 Mail Address associated per XMPP
>> account.
> Some of these (IP throttling, limit per email address) help multiple
> registrations on a single server, but not farming registrations across
> the network (not that this makes them bad things).
>
>> Wards off 99% of Spam Registrations on lightwitch.org alone.
> Ah, this is good - I don't think anyone else is collecting statistics
> on how this stuff works (if they are, please share). Do you have a
> breakdown of how the different preventions contribute to the 99%, and
> how do you detect the remaining 1% (and gain confidence that there are
> none not detected)?
>
> /K

 From what I could observe,

Long captcha - around 50%, mainly 70% of automated bot registrations
E-Mail verification - Mainly 30%, This wards off the remaining bots
which manage to OCR the captcha but can't deal with verifying E-Mails.
DSA Filters + IP Throttling - By 19%, this mainly deals with Human
solvers attempting to use DEAs to register spammy addresses.

The remaining 1% usually it's still human solvers either using mail
providers e.g. yahoo or gmail, or DEA Services I don't have the
"fingerprint of" but it's usually easy enough to catch 'em with periodic
log checks and zap 'em therefore.

--

*Marco Cirillo*
/LW.Org/LW.Org IM Owner & Head Developer/