[Operators] Prosody vs. spammers - security measures?

Marco Cirillo maranda at lightwitch.org
Mon Feb 3 20:24:34 UTC 2014

Il 03/02/2014 20:57, Evgeny Khramtsov ha scritto:
> Mon, 03 Feb 2014 19:45:21 +0100
> Marco Cirillo <maranda at lightwitch.org> wrote:
>
>> Long captcha - around 50%, mainly 70% of automated bot registrations
>> E-Mail verification - Mainly 30%, This wards off the remaining bots
>> which manage to OCR the captcha but can't deal with verifying E-Mails.
>> DSA Filters + IP Throttling - By 19%, this mainly deals with Human
>> solvers attempting to use DEAs to register spammy addresses.
>>
>> The remaining 1% usually it's still human solvers either using mail
>> providers e.g. yahoo or gmail, or DEA Services I don't have the
>> "fingerprint of" but it's usually easy enough to catch 'em with
>> periodic log checks and zap 'em therefore.
> Nowadays email verification is bypassed easily by creating tons of
> fake emails on many servers or within single poorly protected server.
> We're thinking to switch to SMS-based verification for
> jabber.ru: we have it currently and it works fine and is pretty cheap,
> just need to disable email verification completely.

There're SMS gateways out there, while less you'd incurr in the same
issues first or laters.

And I don't agree, it's trivial enough to filter out mail accounts
created on one or multiple compromised mail servers, it's less easy for
DEAs but nothing appropriate policy filtering can't deal with.
The reason most spammers tend using DEAs nowadays it's that it makes it
harder to tracedown offenders, while using stationary (even compromised)
mail services does not.

--

*Marco Cirillo*
/LW.Org/LW.Org IM Owner & Head Developer/