[Operators] Prosody vs. spammers - security measures?

michael p michael at rustyhalo.org
Tue Feb 4 16:59:37 UTC 2014

Wait, why do the phone numbers need to be stored/logged? Can't a completely separate system be used to send an audio message or text to a number, then once the correct verification code is received, signal the new user to be created on the jabber server and discard the number?

I understand the reluctance of people to enter their phone numbers into foreign systems, I do, and for people who will never give out their number, I know this is a non-starter, but we're trying to fight bogus registrations, here. If a completely separate, log-free system was used for registration, I wouldn't have issue putting my number in. Unsolicited SMS and cell calls are illegal to the point that spammers (as far as I've seen) don't go anywhere near spamming people's cells with texts or calls, especially with how easy it is to trace back to the source of such things. If there's no worry of a 'phone number database' being compromised, and the system doing the verifications is separate and secure, short of that verification system being compromised (which is a risk when storing any other personal information along with your XMPP account), what's the big deal?

Google asks for your phone number, and so does Facebook. I may be comparing apples and oranges, but I'm pointing out its far from unheard of. With free DIDs easy to come by, and Google Voice free to US users, many privacy minded folks already have other numbers they give out other than their cell.

I'm all for privacy, but I realize I need to trade some in order to use other people's free as in beer services. If people expect free services to also allow anonymous registration and not somehow to become bastions of spammers, they have unreasonable expectations (IMHO, but I'm welcome to be corrected).