[Operators] Prosody vs. spammers - security measures?

Marco Cirillo maranda at lightwitch.org
Tue Feb 4 19:13:59 UTC 2014

Il 04/02/2014 19:26, Evgeny Khramtsov ha scritto:
> Exactly. It is impossible to build SPAM free anonymous network,
> because you need an identity to block. The stronger the identity the
> less SPAM you have.

Evgeny,

Depending on the acceptation of "identity" you intend, sorry to say but
a phone number alone doesn't guarantee you a strong one either if we
want to be picky, expecially using SMS.

You'd want who register to share a lot of personal details to ensure
traceability in case of abuse, and thereof you'd obviously require to
verify those informations to ensure they're valid somehow which may turn
being impossible.

And then for me the usual question with large public services which
advertise large numbers in terms of registered users remains how many of
those are valid / actual users, and how many are not, does people
(beside myself) actually try to assert that..?

I can only share my (little maybe) experience with the public service I
host. Before I started enforcing very strict registration policies I had
presumably about 10k registered "users" but soon I noticed how after I
purged about 80% (most of which were largely inactive or on "a spike"
use) of the accounts and put in place what I just mentioned,
registrations dropped from several dozens a day to just a handful.. So
either such a large number of the userbase got scared or annoyed and
refused to re-register or maybe "someone decided to move for weaker
rings" in the chain (which is quite possible).
And believe me, I don't assume my server or the ways I employ to
counteract spammy registration are "foolproof".

If making a non-closed environment, such as the XMPP network,
*completely* SPAM free is something no one managed yet I suppose there's
a reason.

--

*Marco Cirillo*
/LW.Org/LW.Org IM Owner & Head Developer/