[Operators] DDoS attacks against jabber.org

David Banes david at banes.org
Fri Feb 7 08:05:12 UTC 2014

In my view this is the correct approach (block s2s communication) and mirrors the behaviour in the SMTP world. It's the way I run SMTP/XMPP platforms so I'd expect others to do the same.

Quite simply if you see a badly behaving server/IP you block it until the owner has rectified the situation.   Yes this upsets some users on the server(s) that is blocked but that's fine, they can apply pressure on the owner to fix it or take their 'business' elsewhere.

Doing this will weed out the problem operators and clean up our network.

David.