[Operators] DDoS attacks against jabber.org

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Feb 7 14:59:47 UTC 2014

On 2/7/14, 3:10 AM, Edwin Mons wrote:
> On 07/02/14 11:08, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>> Are there any indications regarding the motives of the attackers?
>>

> Other than that they seem to target specific MUCs, we can only speculate.

I have a hunch, which the other jabber.org admins don't necessarily
agree with, that this is related to conflict in Syria. Most of the rooms
that various attackers are interested in have names related to Syria
(e.g., English or Arabic versions of Aleppo, Homs, etc.). This would be
consistent with other activities I've seen (various people claiming that
they used to be admins in these rooms and now need to be given admin
rights, etc.).

But, of course, I might be mistaken.