[Operators] The Google issue

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Jan 2 22:40:17 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 04:50 AM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre:
>> On 12/6/13 7:46 AM, Solomon Peachy wrote:
>>
>>> I know this has come up before, but is there anyone within
>>> Google we can ask to shed some light on Google's long-term
>>> intentions?
>>
>> Some of us have reached out directly. Conversations are ongoing.
>
> Any results ?
>
> I wonder what will happen on Saturday:
>
> "January 4, 2014 - first test day requiring encryption"
> https://github.com/stpeter/manifesto/blob/master/manifesto.txt
>
> I hope that the people in charge at Google are aware that not
> supporting this effort perhaps would result in a smaller or larger
> PR disaster.

Our friends on the Google Talk team are aware of our work on improving
server-to-server security. Google domains will not be part of the
first test day, but I understand that they will support
unauthenticated encryption (TLS + Server Dialback) before our proposed
date for a permanent switchover to an encrypted network (May 19, 2014).

Peter

- --