[Operators] debian.org SIP and XMPP

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Sat Jan 18 21:50:36 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We have just enabled federated SIP for debian.org.  It is very basic,
just a SIP proxy and TURN server.  People can register and make calls to
each other and other federated SIP domains using TLS.  There is no
presence server or other stuff so far.

XMPP is also on the roadmap, I would like to see it happen within 1-3
months at most.  A lot of the work done for SIP (e.g. discussions about
naming conventions, authentication databases, TURN server, etc) applies
to XMPP too so there should be less effort to get XMPP now.

The biggest challenge is that all Debian infrastructure is run by
volunteers: in this type of community, it is not reasonable to ask them
to support anything that will be a drain on their time.  That is why we
started off without things like presence support in SIP.

I'd be really interested to get feedback from the XMPP community, in
particular,

a) would anybody from the XMPP community would like to be personally
involved in advising on this next stage of the debian.org RTC project?

b) can anybody comment on which products may suit Debian's operational
requirements?

Regards,

Daniel