[Operators] debian.org SIP and XMPP

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Sun Jan 19 08:43:17 UTC 2014

On 18/01/14 23:37, Matthew Wild wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On 18 January 2014 21:50, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have just enabled federated SIP for debian.org.  It is very basic,
>> just a SIP proxy and TURN server.  People can register and make calls to
>> each other and other federated SIP domains using TLS.  There is no
>> presence server or other stuff so far.
> I know this is a milestone, good work :)
>
>> XMPP is also on the roadmap, I would like to see it happen within 1-3
>> months at most.  A lot of the work done for SIP (e.g. discussions about
>> naming conventions, authentication databases, TURN server, etc) applies
>> to XMPP too so there should be less effort to get XMPP now.
> Excellent news. I know there has been talk of an XMPP server on
> debian.org on and off for some time, it would be great to see this
> happen :)
>
>> The biggest challenge is that all Debian infrastructure is run by
>> volunteers: in this type of community, it is not reasonable to ask them
>> to support anything that will be a drain on their time.  That is why we
>> started off without things like presence support in SIP.
>>
>> I'd be really interested to get feedback from the XMPP community, in
>> particular,
>>
>> a) would anybody from the XMPP community would like to be personally
>> involved in advising on this next stage of the debian.org RTC project?
> I'd be able and willing to help with this. I'm not a Debian developer,
> but I admire the project a lot and would love to contribute in this
> way. I am a volunteer admin of a number of XMPP servers already,
> including jabber.org, dukgo.com (DuckDuckGo's community server) and
> some smaller public services. As an XMPP developer I've worked on
> integrating XMPP servers with all kinds of systems.
>
>> b) can anybody comment on which products may suit Debian's operational
>> requirements?
> On discussing actual software I have to disclose that I'm a developer
> of Prosody, an open-source XMPP server. I think it would cover all
> your needs, but it would be helpful to know a little bit more about
> them.

This is very generous of you Matthew, we already had some internal
discussions about possible servers and Prosody was on the short list

Ultimately, the Debian System Administrator (DSA) team will make the
final choice about what they will run so I've forwarded them a link to
this thread

As mentioned in the other email, FOSDEM is coming up, maybe that will be
an opportunity to discuss in person?  (Please don't let my .au domain
deceive you, I'm based in central Europe)