[Operators] The Google issue

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at wisc.edu
Tue May 13 20:12:06 UTC 2014

On 5/13/2014 12:28 PM, Christopher Orr wrote:
> With the final switchover date less than a week away, and because I
> haven't noticed any reports from the last couple of encryption test
> days, I was wondering what the status is.  Has anybody heard anything
> more about XMPP changes at Google?

Nothing.

Once the semester ends, we will turn on Hangouts for our domain in
Google Apps.

What it will mean is that user will use Hangouts to chat with people
using Google's services, and those that want to chat with people on XMPP
can continue to use our XMPP service.

Many users will end up running multiple IM clients (or multiple services
within a client like Pidgin).

I presume that this is what Google ultimately wants enterprises to do.
However, I doubt that their silo-ification strategy is going to work in
the end.

Jesse
UW-Madison