[Operators] Public XMPP service: jabberzac.org

Mike Barnes mike at bremensaki.com
Tue Mar 10 22:02:37 UTC 2015

Yeah it looks that way, despite the last time this was brought up on this
list there were reassurances from the maintainer that he was just "busy" or
something.

This is a massive issue across so many sites. The public directory on
xmpp.net needs to be REMOVED if it's not maintained, or its maintenance
handed over to someone else. It CANNOT be that damn hard. The observatory
is excellent and useful, but leads people to links to this stupid server
list that nobody can get anything added to.

But hey, that's the way we live right? Jabber.org "temporarily" suspended
registrations two years ago. Jabber.org.au is still missing any kind of web
site ... and we're here as operators of instant messaging and conference
servers and we're using a mailing list. How about an "official" MUC on
something and link to that instead? Oh, probably impossible, as someone
would have to take 10 minutes out of their day and update a web page.

Honestly if anyone's surprised that people keep using proprietary messaging
solutions, just take a look at the half-finished and neglected projects
that wave an XMPP banner around, and think about who's actually paying
attention to users.