[Operators] Annoying spam

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Nov 10 15:30:05 UTC 2015

Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> writes:

> This doesn't answer the question directly, but I've been keeping a
> list of JIDs that I've seen sending spam:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/snippets/SamWhited/rLqKB/spammy-jids
>
> Feel free to add to it (I think you can do that with snippets? If not
> I'll move it to a wiki page). I'm probably just going to start
> blocking any server that has open registration which doesn't require
> at least a captcha.

Thank you.  Inspired by your page I created the following page (on
gitlab as I don't want to rely on a non-free service like bitbucket) to
document the JIDs that spammed me.

  https://gitlab.com/snippets/10433

Has anyone documented how to use a list like this to ban certain
JIDs/servers?  Doing that is probably server-dependent, but still it
might be possible to discuss it generally.  There may be opportunity to
create a DNS-based blacklist out of this as well.

/Simon