[Operators] addressing the spam problem

Kim Alvefur zash at zash.se
Wed Jan 13 02:23:37 UTC 2016

> Over the years we have discussed a number of potential methods for
> mitigating (I do not say solving) the spam problem. For example:
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0159.html
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0268.html
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0275.html
>
> I suggest that we work on this problem more actively and start
> experimenting with solutions.
>
> What do people on this list think?

One think I think is missing is a way for client to easily report spam
and other abuse.  IODEF being for communication between service
administrators might be a bit heavy if you just want to say "I got spam
from foo1234 at example.com".

With that in place, we'll be able to collect data that would feed into
automated blocking, IODEF reports and reputation.

--
Kim "Zash" Alvefur