[Operators] Spam Problem And Its Simple Solution

Marvin Gülker m-guelker at phoenixmail.de
Sat Nov 19 12:53:53 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 03:19:34PM +0300, A wrote:
> How do this problem was solved back in 2000s? Very easy. Popular clients
> just incorporated simple anti-spam measures to perform human-testing for any
> new senders. Client just asked every new sender to answer simple
> (customizable) question, such as "What is the planet name we are living on?"
> and if sender managed to answer, the client allowed sender to actually
> communicate with the recipient. This is just that easy.

I like the general idea, but the protocol (not the questions themselves
obviously) should be standardised into a XEP so that not every client
creates its own idea of how to do it. You should suggest it on the
xmpp-standards mailinglist.

> someone from this list have relevant skills and can implement required
> plugins and someone else can persuade client authors to include this plugin
> to the default list, which comes with the app.

As I said above, try to consolidate that into a XEP first, then ask
client authors to implement it.

Greetings
Marvin