[Operators] Spam Problem And Its Simple Solution

Mickaël Rémond mremond at process-one.net
Sat Nov 19 17:03:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

> On 19 Nov 2016, at 13:19, A <a at creep.im> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone.
>
> The spam problem persists and it gets worse and worse each consecutive day, but seems like nobody actually can or wants to do anything. All the anti-spam measures discussed here in this list are a mere blocking of spam JIDs or even whole domains.

A while back, I tried to summarize a few approaches to fight SPAM and abuse:
https://blog.process-one.net/fighting-xmpp-abuse-and-spam-with-ejabberd-ejabberd-workshop-1/ <https://blog.process-one.net/fighting-xmpp-abuse-and-spam-with-ejabberd-ejabberd-workshop-1/>
Here are the slides: https://blog.process-one.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Fighting-XMPP-messaging-spam-thanks-to-ejabberd-API.pdf

Part of it relate to existing configuration options, part of it rely on simple new modules and finally part of it require more complex, network level coordination.
I think the most promising approach and interesting system is to build a reputation system. Having servers adds hint in messages when forward it it to another server about user reputation seems quite interesting. We would also need somewhat a server reputation, so that we can ponder those granted hints (Maybe configurable one to let the main admin ponder as he wishes).

I am volunteering to participate in the spam / reputation system topic.
Any one else ?

--
Mickaël Rémond