[Operators] Google Talk RIP

Phil Pennock xmpp-operators+phil at spodhuis.org
Sat Mar 25 00:40:28 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-24 at 20:34 -0400, Sam Rakowski wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2017, Phil Pennock wrote:
> >> Third-party XMPP clients will continue to work with Hangouts for
> >> 1-on-1 chats. XMPP federation with third-party services providers will
> >> no longer be supported starting June 26.
>
> > That's at least better than _pretending_ it works.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, didn't they do this a few years back? I remember it quite
> bitterly; I lost touch with many people when they shut it down. All I get now is
> presence updates, but I know that unless their resource starts with "gmail", my
> messages disappear into the aether.

"It Depends" ... in ways which are quite obnoxious for federation.

AIUI if someone starts using Hangouts, it fails, and there's little to
no way to tell if they're on the "Hangouts" or "Google Chat" product, so
you end up with messages disappearing.

Thus my comment about them _pretending_ it works.  Now it's official.
>From June 26, even if their resource starts with gmail, the message will
disappear (if federation even still works).

-Phil