[Operators] XMPP server recommendations

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Nov 20 09:28:48 UTC 2017

On 20 November 2017 at 08:26, Kristian Rink <kawazu428 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks;
>
> we're currently running an internal XMPP service based upon openfire wich
> works well but has a few drawbacks that don't seem to be addressable with
> this implementation.

What are the drawbacks you've found? I'd like to address these if
possible. I'd be especially interested to know if you're still seeing
issues on the latest version (4.1.6), and if you've looked at the 4.2
Beta which was released last Friday.

> Wish list, in our environment:
>
> - Users do use 1:1 messaging as well as some conference channels (restricted
> / open but still internal).
>
> - Our users run Windows, Linux, Android and iOS, with clients mostly being
> jitsi, pidgin, gajim and Conversations (on Android).
>
> - Transfer of files (mostly screenshots and PDF docs) is frequently used yet
> works not quite reliable with openfire.

I'd be curious to know what protocols were in use here. Openfire
doesn't do anything with file transfers, so it's likely this is a
client-side issue - but what Openfire does do is present a SOCKS5
proxy for clients to use. It's possible, I suppose, that this is
causing problems or has bugs, but I'm unaware of any reports.

Openfire doesn't support the HTTP file upload capability (but I know
Guus has a plugin in development for this).

> - History of chats (1:1 and group) should be availble synchronized across
> multiple devices (for users using desktop and mobile clients); this should
> include files included in a chat history too.

Openfire will do message archiving and access, but you'll have had to
include the Monitoring plugin - except files. HTTP upload might help
with files (since they're held offline on the server), but I don't
know off hand which of those clients support it.

> - The service should run on Linux on a machine that is tied to Windows AD
> using winbind.
>
> - The service should be able to map Linux users to XMPP users and certain
> Linux user groups to XMPP user groups (openfire does have this concept of
> server-sided rosters but I'm not sure how far this is an XMPP standard
> feature). Not having to maintain a dedicated user base would greatly help.

I'm confident in saying that Openfire's support of Active Directory
and LDAP remains leading.

> So far I peeked into ejabberd and prosody and am looking for something to
> replace openfire. What are your experiences? Can you recommend either of
> these or maybe any other XMPP server I left out by now?

You may also want to look at M-Link (commercial, good LDAP support),
and MongooseIM (a fork of ejabberd).

Dave.