[standards-jig] Publish-Subscribe JEP status

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 12 03:13:32 UTC 2002

On 4/11/02 10:50 AM, "Piers Harding" <piers at ompa.net> wrote:

> So would it be a good starting point be to define two things:
>
> (a) the protocol requirement to support pubsub, and to do it within the
> existing base Jabber protocol
> (b) the additions or rework to support JNG
>
> From this we could work out what of the JNG stuff could go into (a) without
> breaking it, and making the uptake to difficult for existing client developers
> etc., and then ear mark the rest for what needs to revisited for version 2.0,
> when we get a JNG backbone to work with.

The danger here is that JNG is still a very nebulous thing with no schedule,
goals, vision, etc.  Tossing things into the "wait for JNG" bucket may be
necessary but I'm getting a little worried about how wise it is to keep
doing this.  For example, how many people are still thinking about framing
issues after packet framing was thrown into the "wait for JNG" bucket?

> And just an aside - surely these kind of issues crop up across the board, for
> most protocol discussions?  Aren't there all kinds of mods that could be
> required to support JNG?  Maybe this should be a separate JEP in itself -
> migration guidelines/strategy to JNG.

Agreed.  Although, until JNG at least begins to take on some shape, it will
be premature to make any migration suggestions.  Still, it should definitely
be put on the to do list for JNG.

-iain