[standards-jig] Pub/Sub Explanation

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Tue Apr 16 19:49:03 UTC 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 02:27:31PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Peter Millard and I were chatting over lunch, and he mentioned that the
> initial motivation for developing pub/sub systems in Jabber were things
> like this:

Piers and my original motivation for pubsub in Jabber came from the business
(ecommerce) world, where there's plenty of need for pub/sub (e.g. RFQs,
pricing changes, feeder mechanism for financial documents, etc etc).

> 1. I publish my vCard
> 2. I publish my public key
> 3. I publish my avatar
>
> These are things that you might want to subscribe to (i.e., know when they
> change, which change is an event), and that we'd probably want to be
> persistent.

Using mod_xml's public data storage features would be ideal for the
storage part of this.

dj