[standards-jig] Invisibility Support in Jabber

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Fri Aug 9 15:17:29 UTC 2002

Jer-

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Jeremie wrote:
> The JEP in question is still in the experimental stage. I agree that
> this appears to be a good idea/addition, and I haven't heard anyone say
> otherwise, so I'd be happy to update JEP-18 and add it in.

I, personally, would love to see the JEP updated. It seems to me that
noboday has raised any major issue besides the one that you mentioned
below. However, I still think that it would be more explicit and
understandable if we did add a presence type of visibility.

> The only potential conflict is that the prototype'd invisibility support
> in jabberd-1.4.2 uses <presence/> as a flag that your becoming visible
> (instead of the newly proposed <presence type="visible"/>), so that
> behavior would change and might break clients supporting it currently,
> which seems acceptable since it's still experimental.

This is, of course, true. I'm sort of curious how many clients have
implemented invisible mode so far. I know Exodus has, and that's what I
was using/testing when I came up with this idea, cause I didn't like the
way that Exodus handled invisibility.

BTW- Frankly, I've found most of you too accepting of this idea. In the
future, I'd appreciate it if you all got all emotional and starting
flaming when I try to create controversy.

Cheers,

bs.