[standards-jig] JNG Ramblings.

Mike Lin mikelin at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 9 17:23:09 UTC 2002

Well, one thing is for sure, is that we don't want make ourselves do our
own BEEP implementations because we bastardized the protocol. BEEP
implementations are quite heavy with channel management and flow
control, and amount to 50% of a user-space TCP implementation - on top
of TCP. Use existing BEEP implementations, or don't use it at all. A
framer for the protocol I laid out is an order of magnitude less complex
than a BEEP implementation.

We are already dumping telnet-and-type in Jabber by switching over to
SASL authentication, which requires cryptographic operations on every
session.

There are reasons to use a binary protocol for framing, and reasons to
use an XML protocol for extensibility. I am trying to blend the two. I
don't know if it's right, that's why I'm implementing it to find out.

It would be trivially simple to write a program that lets you type
messages to the server, and wraps it in the binary frame for you.

-Mike