[standards-jig] Constraining standards? (was: Discussion onJEP-0016: Server-Based Privacy Rules)

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 17:40:47 UTC 2002

On 1/23/02 12:25 PM, "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:

>> I understand that there are "core" protocols that are "required" of Jabber
>> compliant software.  And then all the rest are "recommendations" with the
>> possibility of overlapping/competing/alternative recommendations to do the
>> same thing.  And now there are suggestions of including "style guides" in
>> addition to recommendations (for things like standard emoticons).
>
> I think style guides are outside the purview of the JSF. IMHO, of course.

I would sort of agree.  On the other hand, if a lot of the "standards"
outside of some core set are "recommendations", they sort of become "style
guides" too...  I will readily agree there are some obvious cases that fall
into the two camps, but the grey area between may be a tricky place to draw
a line...  If that is the case, perhaps we should allow style guides like
the emoticon issue to be at least managed by JSF?

-iain