[standards-jig] JEP-0060 PubSub: We need privacy lists in PubSub

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Tue Feb 18 22:20:57 UTC 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 11:52:50AM -0500, Bob Wyman wrote:

> ... snip ...
>
> 	I don't believe it possible to come up with any particularly
> interesting architectural distinctions between what is typical in
> presence systems and what is covered by PubSub systems as discussed in
> the literature. PubSub is a fundamental pattern of computer science and
> Presence is just one implementation of the pattern. Given this, it
> doesn't seem to make sense to me to have distinct protocols for presence
> and for PubSub.

I totally agree that presence is 'just' an implementation of the Observer
(a.k.a. PubSub) pattern. But the path choosen for the xmpp was to be
mostly backward compatible, and this means we just can't do away with how
presence is implemented at the moment. Maybe gradually. Earlier there has
been talk about that we only need one top level element: <route/>, but I
don't see that happening very soon, either. If we would start all over again,
it would be different, I guess.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm