[standards-jig] disco, x:data, etc...

David Waite mass at akuma.org
Wed Feb 19 16:46:33 UTC 2003

Matthew A. Miller wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 12:25, Alexey Shchepin wrote:
>

>>Hello, Matthew!
>>
>>On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 13:49:32 -0800, you said:
>>
>> MAM> Hola, First, the use of x:data you have is not "as spec". x:data is not
>> MAM> meant to "stand alone" in the form you are using it.
>>
>>Where in spec writen that I can't do this? :)
>>

>jabber:x:data does not have the element <query/>, let alone with the
>attribute "node", as detailed in Section 8.1.  That alone can be
>considered "not as spec".
>
>In addition, Section 3.2 of JEP-0004 states that x:data is not useful on
>its own, that it needs something to give it context (such as a
>containing namespace).  While this does not explicitly state the usage
>presented by ejabberd is incorrect, it is implied.
>
>Maybe this is something the council and authors of JEP-0004 need to
>address?

Sorry it took me a little bit to reply.

 From http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0004.html#sect-id2592305 :
"The context for the jabber:x:data packet is provided by the surrounding
packet."

Perhaps this should be changed in the face of JEP-0068
(http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0068.html), which standardizes the
FORM_TYPE hidden field? Context could be provided by either a
surrounding namespaced element or FORM_TYPE.

- David Waite