[standards-jig] jep-0071 img tag

Bart van Bragt jabber at vanbragt.com
Thu Feb 12 07:55:40 UTC 2004

Richard Dobson wrote:
> Anyway IMO a mobile client should not be wasting bandwidth trying to embed
> images into messages anyway considering how expensive it is, certainly here
> in the UK anyway.

'Should' ofcourse won't cut it out there ;) The users want it. Why do
you think half of the phones have a built in camera nowadays?

I'm currently working on a J2ME client that is able to send messages
with embedded photos from the built in camera to a home device. It's
limited to a specific set of hardware so I'm just BASE64-ing the image
and including it in the message itself.

The main problem with the current proposal is the fact that both clients
have to be online at the same time. Most mobile clients are not online
24/7 so if I send a message while the recipient is offline I'm out of
luck. That's not acceptable in the project that I'm working on and
therefore I'm using inline images.

Maybe this is something to take into account while working on
http://www.jabber.org/wiki/index.php/XHTML%20Inband%20Images

Bart