[standards-jig] JEP-0045 (MUC) non-anonymous history

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 08:51:15 UTC 2004

We've implemented a public Web-chat based on MUC for a national Web portal.
Here is the last of our five (late, sorry) contributions.

Even in non-anonymous rooms, clients cannot discover the identity of the
users that sent the history messages. The user who sent the message may well
have left the room (and even if they didn't, then the client can never be
sure the nick isn't being used by someone else).

Without the identity of the sender, the users can't interact with the person
(add to contacts/blacklist, send IM, view profile/photo/home page...).

[We have noticed that history is especially important for rooms that have
little traffic (not much more traffic than forums).]

The solution is to add the jid to the message stanza. For example in the
'from' attribute of the delay namespace:

<message from='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit/firstwitch'
    to='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'
    type='groupchat'>
  <x from='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'