[standards-jig] extending disco#info result

Peter G. Millard me at pgmillard.com
Fri Feb 20 15:03:28 UTC 2004

Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:24:59PM -0000, Ian Paterson wrote:
>> Now that infobits has gone, can we decide between extending
>> disco#info results (JEP-30) generically with x:data or with
>> different namespaces depending on the entity?
> IMHO namespaced elements seem better in most cases. x:data may be good
> for data which structure is not well known or defined.

I disagree.. I client which wants to provide a generic GUI would have to
understand ALL possible namespaces. By using x-data, we provide a generic
mechanism. As Ian mentioned, the identity information for an entity provides
sufficient contextual information to give meaning to the data.

If we use seperate namespaces, clients have NO shot at building a GUI which
will work as new adaptations of this idea unfold. We should always make sure
what we do is future-proofed.

pgm.