[standards-jig] JEP-0045 (MUC) non-anonymous history

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Feb 24 22:37:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 08:51:15AM -0000, Ian Paterson wrote:
> We've implemented a public Web-chat based on MUC for a national Web portal.
> Here is the last of our five (late, sorry) contributions.
>
> Even in non-anonymous rooms, clients cannot discover the identity of the
> users that sent the history messages. The user who sent the message may well
> have left the room (and even if they didn't, then the client can never be
> sure the nick isn't being used by someone else).
>
> Without the identity of the sender, the users can't interact with the person
> (add to contacts/blacklist, send IM, view profile/photo/home page...).
>
> [We have noticed that history is especially important for rooms that have
> little traffic (not much more traffic than forums).]
>
> The solution is to add the jid to the message stanza. For example in the
> 'from' attribute of the delay namespace:
>
> <message from='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit/firstwitch'
>     to='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'
>     type='groupchat'>
>   <x from='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'
>       stamp='20021013T23:58:37'
>       xmlns='jabber:x:delay'/>
> </message>
>
> Or under the http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user namespace:
>
> <message from='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit/firstwitch'
>     to='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'
>     type='groupchat'>
>   <x from='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit'
>       stamp='20021013T23:58:37'
>       xmlns='jabber:x:delay'/>
>   <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user'>
>     <item jid='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'/>
>   </x>
> </message>

JEP-0091 (Delayed Delivery) says that the value of the 'from' attribute
is either the original sender or the entity that delayed the stanza.
Since in the context of discussion history one knows that the room
itself delayed the delivery, it does seem useful to provide the JID of
the original sender. Naturally, this must be forbidden in semi-anonymous
rooms. Does the following text address this issue?

   Discussion history messages SHOULD be stamped with extended
   information in the 'jabber:x:delay' namespace (see Delayed Delivery
   [6]) to indicate that they are sent with delayed delivery. The 'from'
   attribute SHOULD be the JID of the original sender in non-anonymous
   rooms, but MUST NOT be in semi-anonymous rooms (the 'from' attribute
   SHOULD be set to the room JID in semi-anonymous rooms).

Jabber Software Foundation