[Standards-JIG] XMPP bandwidth compression

Fletcher, Boyd C. J9C534 Boyd.Fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Thu Jul 1 02:16:22 UTC 2004

I just had a long telecon with one of the key players on the W3C Binary XML group. They are looking at a solutions appearing in 18-24 months assuming the W3C board approves going forward. Even then its probably likely the compression will be table lookup based (covert tags to table values) and do some type of data element compression. there are a lot of folks in the W3C that are adamant against having any type of binary translation for XML.

I'm not advocating a method to compress XML specially (like in the expect W3C approach). it would be a stream based compression, similar to the way TLS encrypts a stream of data. it would have essentially no knowledge of what the stream contents are.

boyd