[Standards-JIG] Two suggestions for JEP-0115

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN david.corvoysier at francetelecom.com
Wed Jun 2 08:19:03 UTC 2004

I know the Last Call expired two days ago, but I have just two
suggestions for JEP-0115 that I humbly think may be worth considering
(or not !):

- I am not comfortable with having the extensions concatenated in a
single string: would'nt it be simpler to have a list of 'ext' child tags
like the following (the extra payload is not that big, and if you go
into such details, why not having shorter namespaces ...):

<presence>
  <c xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/caps'
     node='http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/caps'
     ver='0.9'>
	<ext value='tins'/>
	<ext value='ftrans'/>
	<ext value='xhtml'/>
   <c/>
</presence>

- I would like to have a few lines added in the implementation notes
about the relationships between this JEP and the Pub/Sub. I personnally
think that JEP-0115 is good for relatively stable and of common interest
capabilities, but that if a capability can change many times per IM
session or is very specific, it should be advertized through Pub/Sub to
avoid unneccessary presence broadcasts. One example I have in mind is
the support of VoIP: with Jep-0115 I should advertize that 'in general'
I have the capability do VoiP, but if I want to specify that 'right now'
I can't because I am in a meeting, I should use pub/sub. This way, only
clients that can actually do VoIP will get notified when I become
available for voice calls.

My two cents.

PS: I hope this JEP goes to draft soon, because I need a clean way to
advertize capabilities between heterogeneous clients used in several
projects for my company, and I don't want to lead client developers to
do the job twice ...