[Standards-JIG] avatars

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Thu Jun 24 08:35:35 UTC 2004

Hi,

I would like to keep the possibility to send inline data. There is a serious karma problem with images. But there might be cases where the avatar data is not that large. I am talking about cases where the avatar is not as large as an image file. I only want to point out that avatars are not always images. So, karma is not always a problem when publishing avatars. Hence, the protocol design should not require a file-transfer.

Question 1: Can we make both (file-transfer and inline) possible?

Question 2: Can we also have a URL as data source? Also solves the karma problem even for images.

Question 3: Would it be possible to not always base64 the embedded data. Again: if it is not an image then plain data might be nice.

Question 4: Would it be possible to specify the encoding of embedded data?

In my project we are using 'storage:client:avatar' storage for avatar data. I love the simplicity of the 3 possibilities:

Embedded/base64:
     <data mimetype='image/png' encoding='base64'
      >E00fcB79F822u192e7A2067E5229ec136892A296... </data>

Embedded/plain:
     <data mimetype='rpg/my-favorite-mmorpg'
      encoding='plain'>ACCOUNTID=6575438998</data>

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf
bluehands GmbH & Co.mmunication KG