[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0100 (Gateway Interaction)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Thu Mar 11 07:42:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:52:50AM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> My understanding is that your MSN address can be user at host where the
> host part is not limited to msn.com but could be any valid domain. So
> let's say that your domain name is 2f.com; now the old-style % escaping
> results in a JID of user%2f.com at msn.example.com -- which is potentially
> problematic because %2f maps to ' in the %hexhex escaping recommended by
> RFC 2718, no?

If the JID "user%2f.com at msn.example.com" is to be used in URL it should
be properly escaped, so it is: "xmpp:user%252f.com at msn.example.com"
If some software fails to properly escape/unescape this, then it is
a but in that software, not in the protocol. If '%' is not widely used
in JIDs, then the bug would be noticed/fixed later, but it would still
be there.

IMHO there is nothing wrong in using '%' in JIDs. However I don't think
it is OK to say in JEP-100 that it SHOULD/MUST by anything. This is just
an implementation choice.

Greets,
	Jacek