[Standards-JIG] Re: [Members] Re: MOTION: JEP-0106 (JID Escaping)

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Tue Mar 30 13:05:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:18:47 +0100, Richard Dobson <richard at dobson-i.net>
wrote:

> using a standard escaping mechanism
> allows you do decode the addresses in a reliable way so when users look
> at
> the properties of a transport user it will show user at hotmail.com rather
> than
> a rather complicated and confusing user%40hotmail.com at msn.domain.com,
> talking with novice users who I get to take a look at Jabber this is
> definately a point of confusion that using escaping can eliminate.

Why would the user have to look at the JID to find this out?
user at 40hotmail.com@msn.domain.com is still almost (if not more) as
confusing as user%40hotmail.com at msn.domain.com for a novice user. And the
user still won't be able to send an MSN contact to another jabber user,
unless that user uses the same MSN transport. It also doesn't solve that
we still don't have a good mechanism in use to represent the MSN contact
to the user the way (s)he is used to it, the nickname chosen by that user.

The problem involves more than illegal characters in a JID (for wich JID
escaping could be a solution), it's based on the fact that some of your
contacts are not on the jabber network but another network. Though
jabber:iq:gateway doesn't solve much more than JID escaping, at least it
starts of on the right foot by recognizing that fact.