[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-45 MUC - joining a room from different clientresources

Peter Millard pgmillard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 20:46:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:35:18 -0300, Gaston Dombiak
<dombiak_gaston at hotmail.com> wrote:
[Stuff snipped]
> Changing the role for these two occupants is simple since the all the
> modifications are based on the full JID or the nickname. However, changing
> the affiliation is based on the user's bare JID. So my question is what
> should be the correct behavior when we want to change the affiliation of
> johndoe at company.com? IMO, all the occupants of the same user must be
> affected. This means that the AFFILIATIONS (and possibly ROLES) of
> room at conference.company.com/johnHome and
> room at conference.company.com/johnWork are going to be affected when I change
> the affiliation of johndoe at company.com. Is this correct?

Yes, this is correct. Changing the affiliation for a bare jid should
affect all of the instances of that bare jid in the room at that time.

> BTW, what should be the correct behavior if a user tries to join a room
> where he/she is already an occupant using the same nick but from a different
> resource? According to section 6.3.10 we should return an error specifying a
> "Conflict" error condition.

Right. Full room jids (room at server/nick) must always be unique. It
doesn't matter if the second person that is trying to join using a
nick is the same bare jid or not. The second person trying to join
using a nick which is in use MUST get the conflict error.

pgm.