[Standards-JIG] Re: proto-JEP: Workgroups

Trejkaz Xaoza trejkaz at xaoza.net
Mon Sep 13 22:09:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:58, Matt Tucker wrote:
> TX,
>
> > Nolan has reminded me of my other question that was floating
> > around in my head. :-) As you can tell, I'm still playing
> > mailing list catch-up from several weeks worth of mail.
> >
> > The way I envisage this sort of thing working in practice is
> > for the workgroup entity to be a service-like entity.  All
> > the examples in the JEP have the workgroup specified as a JID
> > with a node (support at company.com), however the most
> > convenient way I found to implement this in practise was with
> > a domain-only entity (support.company.com).
>
> I suppose the overall workgroup "entity" might be a subdomain, but each
> workgroup must be a JID. So, you could have the service live on
> workgroups.company.com and have support at workgroups.company.com,
> sales at workgroups.company.com, etc.
>
> > And if so, does it make sense for support.company.com to be
> > sending groupchat invites?
> > Because it is the server itself, which is _definitely_
> > unusual for groupchats. :-)
>
> Shouldn't be possible since a workgroup must always be a JID.

But support.company.com _is_ a JID, as JIDs don't have to have nodes.  I don't
think there is really a restriction from doing this... but you're right, it
would be common enough to have multiple groups on each workgroup service.

TX

--
'Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' -
Arthur C Clarke

             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at jabber.xaoza.net