[Standards-JIG] XHTML further simplification

Trejkaz Xaoza trejkaz at xaoza.net
Tue Sep 21 21:56:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:10, Rachel Blackman wrote:
> It's lovely to discuss the ideal semantics, the proper way to do
> design.  From the standpoint of purely a discussion of XHTML1 grammar,
> many of these points are good ones.  Is Joe Q. User going to care about
> this?  All they're going to want is that if they paste in text to their
> input window -- yes, even if it has two line breaks between a bit of
> text -- that it gets sent.

If the text comes from some other program, that's probably fine.  But I
thought the use of XHTML-IM was for simple formatting, not for pasting
quantities of text from other applications into the Jabber client.  Either
way, if the other program had two line breaks, then the other program is the
one with the broken semantics... so it's not really our problem at that
point.

> And they likely don't care if it's <br/> or whatnot, behind the scenes. :)

They might care about the side effects.  What will be our excuse if a user
tries to right align just one paragraph in their message and the entire
message right aligns, due to there only being one semantic paragraph?

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/