[Standards-JIG] XHTML further simplification

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 01:59:18 UTC 2004

Byron wrote:
> with HTML4.01/XHTML1's rule that empty <p/> elements must be
> stripped, this leaves no other way to insert a blank line.

How about: <p> </p>

[I'm just contributing an idea, not arguing against <br/>]

Rachel wrote:
> Most IM clients do something like:
>
> [15:35:12] Sparks: This is text!
> [15:36:01] Trejkaz: ...your examples are getting really lame, you know.
> [15:36:51] Sparks: Hey, I am pulling them out of thin air... cut me
> some slack.

I've also been concerned about the standard message prefixes (e.g.
"[15:35:12] Sparks: ").

As Rachel said, most of the recommended CSS properties do not trigger these
issues (font-family, font-size, font-style, font-weight, text-decoration,
color, background-color).

However, the renderer must place the prefix on its own line if the first
features one of the other recommended CSS properties (padding-left,
padding-right, text-align).

How important are <ul/>, <ol/> and the other properties (padding-left,
padding-right, text-align) for IM styling?

IMHO, text-align is unnecessary.

The client I'm implementing will probably never offer features that generate
<ul/>, <ol/> or padding (though it would render them if they are recommended
by this JEP).

- Ian