[Standards-JIG] The Great Encryption Debate

David Chisnall theraven at sucs.org
Fri Aug 12 13:55:50 UTC 2005

I agree with Ian's post.  It is also important to support existing
certificates for a reason not really covered:

This gives us access to existing (large) webs of trust.  I already
have a CA Cert certificate (for example), so this puts me in a WoT
which contains several thousand people.  Unfortunately, CA Cert
certificates are currently only associated with email addresses -
although it would probably be easy for someone in the JSF to persuade
them to allow signing of JID-based certificates.

By supporting existing webs, we can use this to bootstrap the
creation of larger Jabber-based webs.  To this end, we could probably
create a simple server component that tracked people in a particular
web (irrespective of key-type).  These components would then be
responsible for tracking connections between webs - when someone
joins a web, the server asks them what other webs they are in and the
JID of that web-tracker, the two trackers then communicate and log
the fact that there are intermediaries between the two webs (and
create new connections between them).