[Standards-JIG] Secure Groupchat (was Re: The Great EncryptionDebate)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue Aug 16 22:04:46 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 02:29 pm, Ian Paterson wrote:
> > Another issue with groupchat is message signing.  With
> > one-to-one sessions it is clear who is sending which
> > message (if it wasn't you, then it was the
> > other guy).  However, with groupchat it seems that the
> > stanzas will need to be public key signed. I'm not sure
> > yet how this would affect repudiability.
>
> Maybe you're looking for something like (deniable) ring authentication?
> http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~naor/PAPERS/denring.pdf

I briefly skimmed this document and it is much too complex for me to comment
on.  It would be better to see a higher-level document or an implementation.
What are the exact algorithm requirements, and would common crypto libraries
support the necessary primitives?

My initial reaction is that this concept might be too new to adopt.  Secure
groupchat would be great to have today, and there are a number of ways to get
it without going bleeding edge.

-Justin