[Standards-JIG] Re: Syntax for forwarding messages

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Mon Jan 3 16:58:36 UTC 2005

Remko Troncon wrote:
>>Funny you mention this, because i'm actually needing this for JEP-146.
>>I wrote something about that up a few months ago
>>	http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~remko/jabber/forwarding.txt
>

> The corresponding draft for this simple extension is here:
> 	http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~remko/jabber/forwarding.html

A forwarding/routing slip JeP has been on my todo list to base a couple
of other JEPs on. Seeing how the above is a start, I would recommend
using 0033 as a base. 0033's schema allows a lot more than this
forwarding JEP. It would just need to be an informational JEP on how to
use 0033 for forwarding instead of multicasting. The only conflict that
could occur is if the message is sent to a multicasting component
instead of an endpoint that can forward stanzas.

There would also need to be a way to tack on the amount of time spent at
each hop. This was a feature request for another JEP that I need to
spend some more time on. It's available at
http://semanticgap.com/jeps/translation.html if you'd like to see how I
was planning on using 0033 to forward stanzas.

I hope that helps.

- Nolan