[Standards-JIG] JEP-PubSub: open subscription model

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Wed Mar 30 12:56:31 UTC 2005

Hi,

the "pubsub#subscription_model" value "open" means that subscriptions
will not be authorized. Would it be possible to allow for a simple "get"
without a subscription in this case?

The JEP name (Publish-Subscribe) lets me guess that this JEP is about
subscriptions :-) But it is not clear, if everything MUST be subscribed.
There is no statement about it.

It would be nice, if an information store like a pubsub service would
support a simple fetch operation. There are applications which fetch
data. Of course, access control is associated with subscriptions and
owner approval, but in case of "pubsub#subscription_model"="open" there
is no approval. Applications which just fetch data would do
subscribe-get-unsubscribe. Actually my application would do lots of
subscribe-get-unsubscribe. I would like to replace the 3 stanzas by a
simple "get", if the "pubsub#subscription_model" is "open".

Proposal: JEP-0060: add a note that "get" without subscription is a
valid operation for "open" nodes.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf