[Standards-JIG] LAST CALL: JEP-0106 (JID Escaping)

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Wed May 4 09:06:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:22, Richard Dobson wrote:
> Except for the fact that using # will break things in just the same way as
> using % supposedly does (IRC transport), can someone here explain exactly
> what gets broken by using % rather than # as no reasons that cannot easily
> be overcome have yet been presented, I cannot see anything myself, if
> someone presents something convincing ill shut up, but until now its just
> been batted around "oh it will break stuff so we must not do it", but what
> exactly does it break??? Also it seems to have been conveniently ignored
> that using # will break the IRC transport in exactly the same way as %
> supposedly does.

Which IRC transport does this?  The only one I've ever found live was
ejabberd's, which doesn't have this problem.

But if this other IRC transport is actually in use anywhere, maybe another
character should be chosen.  How about backslash?  It doesn't appear to be on
the prohibited list, and is already fairly familiar to people as an escape
character.  And I don't see how any transport would be using this as a magic
character.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at trypticon.org>